If you missed the tear-jerking Disney film, The Finest Hours, you are in luck. It’s now out on DVD and Blu-ray with some great bonus features.
The Finest Hours Synopsis
A heroic action-thriller, “The Finest Hours” is the remarkable true story of the greatest small boat rescue in Coast Guard history. The film will transport audiences to the heart of the action, creating a fully-immersive cinematic experience on an epic scale. On February 18, 1952, a massive nor’easter struck New England, pummeling towns along the Eastern seaboard and wreaking havoc on the ships caught in its deadly path, including the SS Pendleton, a T-2 oil tanker bound for Boston, which was literally ripped in half, trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly-sinking stern.
As the senior officer on board, first assistant engineer Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) soon realizes it is up to him to take charge of the frightened crew and inspire the men to set aside their differences and work together to ride out one of the worst storms to ever hit the East Coast. Meanwhile, as word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard station in Chatham, Massachusetts, Warrant Officer Daniel Cluff (Eric Bana) orders a daring operation to rescue the stranded men. Despite overwhelming odds, four men, led by Coast Guard Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine), set out in a wooden lifeboat with an ill-equipped engine and little, if any, means of navigation, facing frigid temperatures, 60-foot high waves and hurricane-force winds.
The Finest Hours: Blu-ray Bonus Features
- Against All Odds: The Bernie Webber Story: Visit the quaint and close-knit town of Chatham, and experience the events surrounding the most heroic Coast Guard rescue ever through the eyes of the people who witnessed them (also features the Filmmakers, the Coauthors of The Finest Hours Book, and Bernie Webber’s daughter)
- Brotherhood: Cast members reflect on the bonds they forged during the shoot
- Two Crews: Chris Pine and Casey Affleck share insights into the men who led their respective crews against all odds
- What is Your Finest Hour?: A Coast Guard member recounts an incredible rescue
- The Finest Inspiration: The U.S. Coast Guard: Meet the people who put their lives on the line for others
- Deleted Scenes